01 September, 2010

Academic Crush #1: Clay Shirky

Everywhere I go at the moment, I keep bumping into Clay Shirky.

The man who could well be Tom Hanks' long lost twin (close your eyes and listen, you'll see what I mean) is arguably one of the most engaging new media theorists of our day.  A real social media expert, who doesn't use the cheesy title of one.

It's hard not to love how Shirky's brain works - and I suspect that is mostly because of the eloquence of his thoughts.

So why is Clay Shirky academic crush #1?

For me Shirky personifies the mechanics of the technical within the constructed communications networks of traditional media businesses. He embodies the new media mindset, for which the majority still struggle with the concept of ceding control, let alone grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...