23 May, 2011

If you love good sport, the code shouldn't matter

I hate cricket, but when I see a great catch, or someone caught behind I love the art  and skill of it. Why? Sport is a cultural product, and irrespective of the type or title, when performed by experts is nothing short of art in motion.

Sport creates a universe all of its own. A world with its own language, model citizens, groups and behaviours. Not all of them good or beneficial by traditional standards, but logical and intrinsic to the way that particular sport and its players and supporters have evolved.

If I was Matilda the Martian just landed in Oz around awards time, I'd think all footballers wore penguin suits at functions, wives and girlfriend's dress sense played a significant factor in the performance of cricket and AFL players and that AFL and Rugby league were by far the biggest sports in the world.

I wouldn't know that rugby league and union struggle with weekly crowd attendances, player contract renegotiations, media ownership and sponsorships. That football refers to the round-balled code, it's supporters cruising along to a tribal beat all of their own!

If I was Matilda the Martian, just arrived at the Sydney Football Stadium, Australia, I'd probably watch a game of rugby union in action with my telepathic-controlled lasers drawn, ready to defend myself within this formalised code of war. Either way, I'd certainly have a direct insight into the hearts, minds and spirits of the Australian consumer, because according to Kotler, Kartajaya and Setiawan(2010) in Marketing 3.0 - that's what the next generation of marketing is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...