05 December, 2012

To Follow or Not to Follow: Which Twit? Is the Question...

Twitter's 2000 follow limit encourages us all to proactively manage our 'followers' and dedicated Twitter lists.

My modus operandi goes something like this: You pique my interest, for whatever reason, I'll follow you. :)

My follow back policy is equally straight forward: You follow me, I #FB (that's 'Follow Back' for the uninitiated).

Why? Well, because... in the Twitterverse,

1. EVERYONE has a public profile and no one 'Twit' is more important than the other. (Unless of course you're a Belieber, then the rules of the game change completely and turn a late teen into a deity! But that's a whole new discussion thread)


2. A 'follow' represents a turn in time. Someone has taken the time to follow me, so I can take a moment out of my tightly scheduled day to return the compliment.

3. An extended network of associates encourages opportunities for learning, teaching, business and insights into what constitutes the art of conversation.

4. I tend to 'unfollow' the passive aggressive sales Twit and spambots with ninja-like efficiency.

5. I generally give individuals, teams and organisations a week (maybe two) to follow back, after which I generally unfollow and file them into my Twitter lists. (Recent changes to the use of Twitter's #'s has made following/ creating # community conversations a little more challenging without paying for the privilege)

6. At the moment, I do respond to DM's. This might change when I start receiving a thousand a day, however, for the moment I find DM a really efficient and effective communications tool. -Actually I prefer it to email which is so old school! :)


There are however, some exceptions to my follow back rules:

1. Although I can swear like a losing Rugby World Cup final coach at half-time, I don't condone the use of foul language in public. So if you have a penchant for acronyms such as F.u.c.k or referring to women as 'ho's or *itches (you get my drift), thank you for your follow, however, I won't be following you back.

2. Likewise if you promote cruelty to children, animals or individuals based on colour, race or creed, once again, thank you for your follow, however, I won't be following you back.

This is how I roll on #Twitter atm. It's entirely up 2U if U want 2 cyber roll with me or not.

Either way, I hope your face aches from smiling all day today and everyday.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...