15 July, 2012

A message for abusive Tweeters:

I've just woken up to a very abusive tweet and I have to confess it has floored me.
Assaulted by @WeddedBlissSA

To be fair, I may be a little more emotional than usual given Dad goes in for surgery tomorrow, but this unsavoury encounter has offended on a number of levels...

1) Haven't done your research - Bruh, as if!
2) Women - is the plural I believe you were searching for.
3) Industry - which industry are you referring? My many talents see me cross multiple: from knowledge production, sports, entertainment and education.

Up until this morning, I hadn't experienced the personal impact of trolls (that's how they are commonly referred) on the individuals they assault. Sure, I'd seen and heard the Charlotte Dawson assault, but in my three plus year adventure exploring the Twitterverse this was my first direct encounter. And it has been a little shocking.

For me, @Twitter is actually a really lovely information sharing community enabled by micro-blogging technology. It's my research space, a place where people from all walks of life across the globe exchange ideas. 
What I love about it, is that it democratises communications and enables conversations and connections that would otherwise be limited to the priviledged.

It costs nothing to be nice, so @WeddedBlissSA I double dare you to give it a try.

If you do, you might just find a miracle finds you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...